Thank you to all who attended the Empty Bowls
“SOUP-ER BOWLS for HUNGER” Event
LAKE WALES CARE CENTER
Friday, January 27, 2017
First Presbyterian Church of Lake Wales
Empty Bowls is a nationwide fundraising event aimed at raising awareness and funds to fight hunger. In its 11th year, our local Empty Bowls event, “Soup-er Bowls for Hunger” is going strong. This event is free to the community and guests enjoy a simple but delicious supper of crackers and soup, and the beverages offered were limited to water. This reflects that those struggling with hunger often have a limited diet, sometimes consisting of little more than soup and water. There is also live music and a silent and live auction. Local celebrities, artists, and community members create original hand-painted bowls for the cause. During the event, each guest can bid on the bowls by participating in the silent or live auction. This year’s event boasted close to 300 guests bidding on 163 bowls painted by over 150 artists and community members.
A Special Thanks to…
All the local artists and community members who created beautifully painted bowls for the event.
The Band – Fort Greene Pickin’ Society
For entertaining guests throughout the evening with your “toe tappin’ music.”
Everyone enjoyed your sets of music. You provided nice background music within a rather noisy space.
Our Four Live Auction Auctioneers
Jerry Miller – Community Relations Director, Duke Energy
Larry Bossart – Realtor & Chairman, Lake Wales Chamber of Commerce
Cliff Tonjes – Local Business Owner
Laura Hunt – Care Center Board Member
To all who gave of their time and resources to make a positive impact on the multiple ways hunger affects our community.
Thank you to all of our local restaurants who generously donated their delicious soups to serve our community.
Crazy Fish Grill
Lake Wales Family Restaurant
Lake Wales Medical Center
Pedro’s Downtown Deli
More About the Empty Bowls Project
Empty Bowls is a nationwide program begun in 1990 by an art teacher wanting to teach his students about community involvement. The basic idea for Empty Bowls is simple. Participants paint beautiful ceramic bowls that are then auctioned off at the event.
Guests come to the event and bid on a bowl to keep as a reminder that there are always Empty Bowls in the world. In exchange for a soup meal and the bowl, the guest gives their bid donation to a local charity to help fight hunger.
We at Care Center thank you for your participation today. Please know your gift will help fill empty bowls within our community.
Care Center's Hunger Relief Programs
- Food Pantry & Basic Needs – Each week nearly 90 families come to Care Center for assistance. Case managers interview the families in order to assess their current needs. Care Center provides tangible resources such as FOOD, clothing, furniture, household items, and equipment, etc. We are also able to provide financial help with rent/mortgage, utilities, Rx, gas, and lodging.
- Holiday Assistance – FOOD BASKETS are provided at special times of the year for local families who work hard throughout the year to make ends meet. Food drives help stock our Food Pantry with enough food to fill these baskets.
- Meals On Wheels – provides one well-balanced noon MEAL each weekday to area shut-ins. Meals are prepared daily by the Lake Wales Medical Center and delivered to the recipients’ homes by volunteer drivers.
- Transitional Housing – Helping families stay together. A real hand up and not just a hand out. Families stabilize and NUTRITION improves.
- Community Kitchen – Each Sunday, different churches and other groups throughout our community provide a hot meal to any family or individual who would like to come enjoy the food or just a time of encouragement and fellowship.
Below are some pictures from the event…