The mission of the Lake Wales Literacy Council is to improve the literacy of adults so that they may be
more productive citizens in the Lake Wales community. Services are provided through one-on-one
tutoring and small group instruction by trained volunteer instructors.
The Literacy Council offers the following services at no charge to students:
(1) One-on-one tutoring in Adult Basic Education (ABE) reading, writing, and math for individuals
reading below the 9th grade level;
(2) English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) for students who want to improve their English
language proficiency and to ease the process of cultural and social assimilation through one-on-one,
small group or class instruction;
(3) Remedial math for members of the ESOL classes who wish to pursue GED classes but whose
education in their home country ended prior to 9th grade;
(4) Workplace literacy program at Florida’s Natural Growers for FNG employees and others pursuing
their GED or developing their English language acquisition skills;
(5) Citizenship class for students eligible to obtain their citizenship;
(6) Support for other area groups offering ESOL instruction.
ESOL classes follow the county school district calendar; therefore, classes operate from September through June with a reduced summer schedule. In order to address the demand for services, the LWLC has adopted a classroom model for its delivery of instructional services. Currently, ESOL students comprise 95 percent of our total student population.
The First Presbyterian Church’s Lecture Hall hosts our largest and most intensive program as there are 6 adult tutors/teachers who volunteer on a regular basis.
The program consists of a three hour time period that meets two days per week. The first hour and a half session is spent on a topic of general interest in language acquisition of a particular life skill. Topics may include such areas as items related to health, finances, community resources, etc. During the second session, students are divided into groups based on the individual student’s English language proficiency for in-depth instruction.
For more information regarding the Literacy Council, contact the coordinator at 863-676-5767.